Summer is on our door step and we´re sure you´re are all thinking about the same our abs. Who doesn’t want a toned and slim waist to show off on the beach, or even just for that extra boost of confidence! Gone are the days of those regular crunches; there are so many amazing new workouts and far more efficient and advanced ways to tone that stomach! A varied fitness regime is key for sure, but proper nutrition, sleep and a more holistic approach to the core area is essential. Following on from his Q&A on Monday check out fitness mogul Lee Mullin´s top tips to achieve those enviable summer abs!
1. Include sprint intervals to strip fat from the tummy. This could be short running sprints, cycling sprints or bodyweight exercises such as mountain climbers. Aim to do these at least twice a week for the best results.
2. Nutritionally, avoid slashing your calorie intake. Slashing your calories will lead to your body slowing down your metabolism and will lead to increased levels of cortisol. When your cortisol levels are constantly elevated, your body will store more fat around the waist and tummy.
3. Exercise wise, focus on big, total body movements that work lots of muscles and challenge the core including lunges, bear crawls and pull ups.
4. Eat foods rich in probiotics. Pickled vegetables, kefir and kimchi are all rich in probiotics which boost good bacteria in the digestive system. This helps improve digestion and helps increase the absorption of nutrients from the foods you eat.
5. Make buddha belly breathing a daily habit. Buddha belly breathing or deep diaphragmatic breathing is an incredible way to help lower stress and naturally calm the body. Spend 1-2 minutes in bed every night practicing buddha belly breathing.
6. Take an epsom salt bath. Epsom salts are rich in magnesium which helps to naturally calm the body, improve sleep quality and improve recovery from training. A good quality magnesium citrate powder mixed into a glass of water taken after dinner is another alternative to help naturally wind the body down for a good nights sleep.